Juniper Green Village Hall is a community centre owned by the City of Edinburgh Council. It is located on Juniper Park Road, Edinburgh and includes an outdoor grassed area on the west side of the building with a sandpit and child’s swing. The former Janitor’s house to the east of the hall was recently demolished and we have converted this land into a community garden.
The building has been at the heart of village life for over one hundred years. Built by the War Department as a Drill Hall (originally known as the Volunteers’ Hall – the equivalent of today’s Territorial Army), it was acquired as the Village Hall in 1910, providing a base for recreational activities involving groups of all ages, from pre-school to senior citizens ever since.
Over the years this has included a wide, and sometimes changing, range of interests, with the hall being well used every day during the week. Bookings for new activities to fill any vacant slots are always welcomed.
Bookings are not limited to week days nor to regular actitivies. The hall may also be booked at the weekend for private parties and functions, such as birthday parties, concerts, ceilidhs, Burns Suppers, fundraising events, exhibitions and public meetings.
The Centre is run by a voluntary management committee made up of local residents and representatives from user groups. Known as Juniper Green Village Hall Organisation, it is a registered charity subject to regulation by the Office of Scottish Charities Regulator (OSCR). The management committee is responsible for the financial administration of the Centre, including setting rental rates and processing applications for use of the premises.